A Fool with a Plan Can Beat a Genius with No Plan
A Fool With A Plan
It was late 2008 and everyone in the room laughed as billionaire T. Boone Pickens retold this story from his college years. His father, concerned with Boone’s lack of direction in choosing a major told him;
“Listen son, a fool with a plan can beat a genius with no plan. And your mother and I have a concern that we have a fool with no plan. So you’re getting ready to get a plan and get out of school and that’s it.”
At the time I saw Pickens, he was promoting his energy plan. His plan deployed renewable energies- like wind and solar- and large scale use of LNG as a transport fuel, to reduce America’s dependence on fossil fuels. A self-proclaimed “environmentalist“, the Texas billionaire thought that President Elect Obama was “the man with the plan“.
Flash forward two Obama Administrations
Although use of renewable energy has been on the rise globally, and the Administration created a Clean Power Plan that set targets for states (now stayed by the Supreme Court pending judicial review); a large part of the Obama plan has been let’s use all-of-the-above energy to meet our needs.
As our climate spirals out of control, it’s obvious now more than ever that we need a plan. Enter the Citizens Climate Lobby (CCL). (They’re no fools!) They have a plan and it’s one that conservatives and progressives and everyone in between, can agree on.
It’s called carbon fee and dividend. And, here is how it works:
- Place a steadily rising fee on fossil fuels (coal, oil and gas)
- Give all of the revenue from the carbon fee back to households
- Use a border adjustment to discourage business relocation
- It’s good for the economy AND even better for the climate
With chapters around the globe, CCL members create change vis-a-vis carbon pricing. Since families live within a household budget, it makes sense to put a price on carbon, in order for us to live within our global carbon budget.
You can take part in a few ways.
- Join the Conference and Lobby Congress
- Sign up for an Intro Call and Join a Chapter
- Call Congress– On June 20th, CCL is organizing a national call in day to Congress to urge climate action.